The laptop power jack is a small, rectangular port on the bottom of the computer that plugs into an outlet. Sometimes it can be difficult to plug in or pull out the cord without damaging the power jack. This video shows how to fix a broken laptop power jack without soldering.
The bypass laptop power jack is a process that can be used to fix a laptop’s power jack.
Stanley Hurst last updated this page on July 28, 2023.
What will you do if your laptop’s battery is running low? I’m certain that you’d grab for your laptop charger. Right? What if the laptop’s charger refuses to charge?
How would you feel after attempting many times but failing?
I suppose I’m frustrated.
In this instance, I understand why your charger has suddenly stopped functioning, but there’s a good likelihood the power jack is broken and has to be fixed or replaced.
I was in a similar position a few months ago, and I’d like to tell you how I got out of it without soldering the power connector.
How to Repair a Laptop Power Jack The Flowchart Step-by-Step
Is it possible to fix the Power Jack on a laptop without soldering?
The way a DC jack is attached to the motherboard makes a difference. It may be feasible if it’s linked using a wire connection.
It is not feasible, however, if it is soldered directly into the motherboard. You can’t repair a totally damaged or lost power jack without soldering in this instance. (Details to follow)
Don’t be alarmed. To be honest, soldering does not need the expertise of a professional electrician. Soldering may be done in a variety of methods, and anybody can do it!
This tutorial will assist you if you are on a business trip, traveling, or don’t want to spend money on a repair facility and need to solve the problem as soon as possible.
How does a laptop’s power jack work?
A laptop or notebook’s DC power jack is a necessary component. It supplies power to charge the laptop’s battery and keep it turned on.
The majority of laptops and notebooks have two connectors: +VE and GND. Positive and negative connections are other names for them. Dell, on the other hand, adds an additional sensing pin to these two connections.
a wired DC-in jack
There may be various ways to repair your laptop’s DC-in jack without soldering if it has wires linked with a connector.
DC Without a wire, jack
You won’t be able to avoid soldering to solve the issue if your laptop’s DC-in connector is directly soldered on the motherboard.
Damage to a DC power jack may be caused by four different factors.
- The most frequent cause is a lack of strength inside the shell and motherboard construction. As a result, when you insert the plug, it is unable to withstand the force.
- Some components of a laptop begin to loosen over time. It may happen after 1-2 years of regular use or sooner if you use your computer for a long time.
- The jack may loosen if the power plug jerks. When the charger is dropped or the charger cable is pulled, this occurs. Such situations may be created by people, vacuum cleaners, or even dogs.
- We’ve discovered that the power jack on certain laptop models isn’t properly soldered.
My one-page narrative
I am a student who uses my HP laptop to type homework and do other schoolwork.
My charger was no longer charging the battery when I found it one day.
It was unplugged.
Plugged it in again, rotated it, and turned it.
The charger would make some contact with the laptop while spinning and charge it for a few minutes before stopping.
I’d had enough of turning the charger.
I contemplated purchasing a new AC adaptor, but I did not have the funds to do so.
I was aware that the power jack was defective, but I lacked the funds to get it repaired at a technician’s shop.
I could perform basic troubleshooting and soldering as a beginner electronics student, but the expense of the solder was another problem.
I then considered soldering as a means of repairing the power connector. I started to look on the internet for potential solutions to the issue and came upon one.
I didn’t have the necessary tools, so I went to a nearby electronics repair shop.
I did not spend more than 2 hours repairing everything with the technician’s help, and I believe it is important to provide the processes here:
How can you tell if the power jack is broken?
The following are some of the most frequent signs of a power jack failure. A power jack’s primary purpose is to supply continuous power. If there is a difficulty, it will not be able to do so.
- The power light, which shows whether the charger is turned on or off, will flicker. It will sometimes switch from AC adapter to battery power due to a damaged jack.
- Keep in mind that if you have to wriggle your charger cable to keep it in the socket or if the DC jack feels loose, there is an issue with the jack.
- Even though everything seems to be in order, the battery will not charge. You may not experience any of the symptoms listed above.
- It’s also an indication of a damaged or loose jack if the laptop only charges at a particular spot/angle. This is a life-or-death scenario, and anything might happen as a consequence. Do not use your laptop until the problem has been resolved.
- When you angle your power cable, the laptop will not receive any power or will obtain electricity.
- The laptop cannot be powered by AC power. The gadget is powered only by batteries.
- After putting the adaptor plug into the power jack, sparks may be seen.
- The laptop abruptly shuts off.
How can I examine and figure out what’s causing the power jack to fail?
Before you start dismantling your laptop or thinking about soldering, attempt to figure out what’s wrong. Make sure you only take action when you are absolutely certain. Do the following to figure out what the actual problem is: –
- Take a multimeter and test the power adapter with it. It’s OK if there’s a little voltage discrepancy. More than 1-amp voltage off, on the other hand, signals a problem. If you’re unsure about the voltage your laptop requires, flip it over and look at the label. Keep in mind that any voltage that is less than or equal to the necessary voltage may cause severe harm to your laptop.
It’s possible that your laptop’s power jack is ok. In most instances, the charger is defective and must be replaced.
- You can now be certain that the power adapter is in good working order and has no faults. You must now inspect the power jack. Turn the laptop over and remove the battery. Connect the charger. Consider the VGA port or other metal ports. Take out the multimeter once again. Touch them with the negative probe. Place the positive probe on each pin of the battery terminal. With the exception of two pins, all of them carry current. The internal volts and amps will vary from the adapter’s. The ones on the inside should be lower.
- 1If the reading bounces a lot, the motherboard is probably fried.
- 2No reading indicates that the jack is defective, since it implies that no power is being sent from it to the battery terminal.
- Check the connection on the jack. To do this,
- 1Look at the connection for a moment. It’s wired into the motherboard. Get rid of it.
- 2Connect the power supply adapter to the jack.
- 3Check the voltage on the jack connection using the multimeter. If the connection is defective, there will be no voltage.
- 4Check the jack’s points for consistency. The primary pin, the center pin, and the four outside pins are all present.
How can you figure out what’s wrong with your power jack?
If your laptop won’t charge or your power jack isn’t working, you should investigate the problem. It’s crucial to figure out if the problem is caused by a loose power jack, a damaged power jack, or something else else. This will expedite your job rather than spending time on unproductive activities.
Different kinds of issues may arise in the DC jack. You may need to replace the jack in certain instances, but you may not need to do so in others. It’s possible that a simple adjustment will suffice. Consider the following scenario:
- The jack’s pin has been damaged.
- The whole power jack has been damaged.
- The jack produces a spark or gets very hot.
- The jack loosens up and falls out of the case.
Problems involving physical harm
If the power jack has any physical damage, such as broken pins or the jack itself, it must be replaced. In this situation, there is no alternative “safe” option.
I highly advise against using glue or other methods to hold the jack in place. A faulty connection will not maintain a steady current flow, causing harm to the motherboard in the long run. As a result, replacing the DC jack as soon as possible is the best remedy for any kind of physical damage.
It’s also not difficult to get the right jack for your laptop. To find it, just use the query below. Also, verify the serial number or product number written on the back of your laptop if feasible.
“DC power jack (laptop model)”
Problems with wires, pins, and motherboard tracks
It’s excellent news if you don’t discover any physical damage in the power jack. You may be able to solve the problem quite quickly.
Required equipment and supplies
Before you begin working, make sure you have all of the required equipment and items. Some of the tools you’ll need are listed below.
- An AC Adaptor that is general and contains all of the attachments that are compatible with your Laptop in terms of size and other critical characteristics.
- Zip ties and electrical tape
- Sharpie or highlighter barrels that are empty. If your marker is still functional, there is no need to discard this item.
- Multimeter, pliers, solder and iron, wire strippers, and other tools for your laptop’s AC
- Boring hole tool – in this instance, you may use screws or screwdrivers with nails, drills, and hammer, or any other instrument that can create holes and keep the barrel in place.
There are three ways to repair a laptop power jack
Method 1: Join the power jack together.
there are two cables
The barrel is being prepared.
A barrel with two holes must be prepared beforehand. You may skip this step, but your work will seem ragged and disorganized if the taped wires and soldering are left exposed.
- Remove the marker’s ink storage portion as well as the marker’s tip.
- Make a hole on the barrel’s opposite side, and that’s all there is to the marker barrel.
Getting the cord ready Cutting the laptop cable is part of the cord preparation process. In this instance, we’re working with a general AC adapter as well as a laptop AC adapter.
AC Adaptor (Generic)
- The first step is to cut the generic adapter’s cable to the appropriate length. Make certain that the cord isn’t too short. The excess wire on the adapter plug should be left alone and long enough to be utilized in the future.
- Carry the rope you made previously and place it in the barrel.
- The cables must be exposed. By removing them, you may do this.
AC Adapter for Laptop
- Reduce the length of the cable that has to be replaced by cutting it.
- Place the rope in the tip portion of the marker barrel.
- Make sure the wires are exposed by stripping them.
Join the two wires together.
This is a crucial stage, and you must keep an eye out for any gaps. Use the multimeter to double-check that you’re working with the correct wires.
- Cross-check the AC Adapter while keeping the polarities in mind. Make sure the plug’s core is positive and the outside conductor is negative.
- Connect the laptop’s AC adapter and make sure they don’t come into touch with each other. The positive and negative wires should be noted.
- You may verify the wires that link to the outside plug conductor and the ones that connect to the inner plug with the assistance of your generic plug. Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please Examine your notes to see whether the connections are correct.
- Wrap the tape around the final pair of wires to shield them from the inner portion of the wire.
You must verify that the Barrel is sealed after completing the preceding procedures.
Zip ties may be used to prevent the wires from losing contact if they are pulled.
The zip ties prevent the wires from being disconnected from the power connector.
Method 2: Remove the DC-power jack and replace it with a new one.
- Disconnect the wire connection if the jack has one.
- Attempt to remove the screw from the body by loosening it.
- If the connector is soldered to the motherboard, remove it with care to avoid damaging the circuit traces on the board.
- Keep in mind that working on the motherboard necessitates additional caution. Any error has the potential to destroy the whole motherboard.
Method 3: Secure the jack’s pin or connection wire.
- Find the broken cable in the connection and replace it. Locate the disconnected pin in the case of a jack.
- Make sure the wire is correctly connected. Heat shrink tubes may be used as reinforcement. Solder the pin in the case of a jack.
- After you’ve fixed it, check the voltage with your multimeter. It should now work.
Method 3: How to Repair a Wobbly DC Jack
This may happen as a result of dry soldering. In most instances, pushing the jack repeatedly worsens the problem. The solution is simple. Apply flux to all of the power jack’s pins. Then solder everything together correctly.
Method – 4: The motherboard track is burnt, or any other method is used.
Is the jack pin broken?
- Check whether the burnt track is +VE, GND, or a sensing signal.
- Solder a wire using a soldering iron. I suggest using a strong copper wire to prevent burning. It would make a direct connection between the pin and its destination.
- To strengthen the junction, use hot glue, epoxy mixture/putty, or repair compound. It gives the power jack the strength it needs to resist the strain of connecting to the adapter. Protective gloves should be used if your skin is sensitive or does not respond well to chemicals.
Important points to consider
- A damaged battery may create problems with the power jack.
- When the pin on the power jack breaks, the wire in the adapter plug breaks, or the DC adapter wire is defective, problems like these arise.
- By using a good adhesive or other strong glue to attach the pin to the plastics, you can keep it from breaking.
- It’s possible that the pins aren’t the only thing that breaks in certain instances. The copper tracks on the motherboard are also susceptible to failure. Remove the PCB in this instance to get full access to the copper and apply the glue to the motherboard.
- If you find that the power adapter’s plug has broken or that the wires within the plug have snapped, you have no choice except to replace the power adapter.
- A new plug is easy to get by, but finding one that perfectly aligns with the wire is almost difficult.
- Remove the excel material after soldering the jack’s pin into the holes. Remove a piece of cloth from the situation. It will be simple to remove till it softens.
- Try to form the lead after fastening the power jack on the circuit board.
- Before installing the power jack, be sure the polarity is correct.
What to Know Before Hiring Laptop Repair Technicians
If you are unable to repair your DC power jack on your own, the final option is to visit a repair shop and pay a professional to do so.
Replacing the motherboard rather than the power jack:
It may seem strange to you, yet it is correct.
Instead of fixing or replacing the power jack, many repair/service facilities choose to replace the motherboard. This will cost between $300 and $700, with the jack costing between $20 and $25 to fix or replace.
Even major national laptop repair shops/centers and manufacturers are affected. They usually lack the necessary equipment, tools, and training to do such repairs.
So, if they recommend a motherboard replacement, seek a second opinion from another expert before proceeding with the jack repair procedure. There are a lot of excellent repair shops all throughout the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions (Usual Questions & Answers on repairing a laptop dc jack)
What should we do first? What’s the first thing you should do to repair the power jack?
The procedure may be broken down into three stages. Inspection is the first and most essential stage. This is a critical step to take. You must do study to determine if the power jack has to be resoldered or whether the problems are caused by the power jack. In the event that you need to replace a power connector, you should do some research on the best power jack to purchase.
Look into what’s causing the issues. Is the jack in his physical form? Is it swaying? Do the charging pins have a good fit? Is it possible that the issue is with the connector? etc. Finding the precise cause simplifies the answer by 50%.
What is the best way to solder a DC power jack?
Soldering is not as difficult as it seems to most people. It’s simpler to solder a jack than it is to remove it. The steps are straightforward.
- 1Insert the power jack through the pinholes.
- 2Use flux.
- 3Using molten soldering wire, solder each pin one by one.
Why isn’t my laptop charging even when it’s plugged in?
It happens when the battery isn’t working properly. Remove the battery and attempt to power the laptop with an AC adapter to see whether it’s defective. Your battery is defective if it turns on.
Is it harmful to the battery of my laptop if I leave the charger on overnight?
Laptops now feature a smart circuit that turns off charging after the battery is fully charged. The charger may be left plugged in overnight. There isn’t any risk.
Is it possible to harm the laptop by using a different charger?
To begin with, there is a very little possibility that you will be able to find another brand of charger that will fit into the power jack. There will be a mismatch in pin size. However, that is not out of the realm of possibility.
Even if you do receive one, I highly advise against trying it. There’s a name for it: “power rating.” If the laptop and charger’s power ratings aren’t compatible, your laptop or charger will progressively deteriorate.
When the load on the laptop is increased, lower power ratings may progressively blow out the laptop. A greater power rating may cause the circuit to burn out.
Is it possible to charge my laptop with a phone charger?
You may charge your laptop with any mobile phone charger if it supports Type-C charging. It will take less time to charge the battery if you have a “rapid charger.” For this, check the charger’s capacity.
Is it possible to use my laptop while it is charging?
Certainly not. It’s much better now. The battery’s life will be extended if you use it less. The laptop will automatically switch to the AC adapter once the battery is completely charged.
What is the best way to locate a suitable replacement charger for my laptop?
If you lose your charger or it becomes damaged, you will need to replace it. You may accomplish it by following the instructions below.
Step 1: Locate the laptop model number by turning it over and looking at the sticker. The model number may be found here.
Step 2: Use the search term “[laptop model] + charger” to find what you’re looking for.
Step 3: Double-check compatibility before using: Before using the replacement charger, make sure it’s completely compatible. Check the connection, the voltage, the wattage, and the power rating.
My laptop’s power board, not the motherboard, is malfunctioning. Is it necessary to replace the jack or the power supply?
First, check the jack. If there isn’t an issue, check the power supply. Look for a fuse that is near to the jack. To test it, use a multimeter.
I used a multimeter to check my charger, power jack, and everything else. Everything seems to be in order. Why isn’t my laptop turning on?
The issue may be with the power button. Check to see whether the power button is broken. Check your keyboard for a set key that will turn on your laptop. A button like this may be seen on certain laptop models.
How do you dismantle a laptop?
It entails removing eight to ten screws and, in some instances, disassembling the keyboard. It’s best not to continue if you see any components that are glued together. It’s a sign that the dismantling and reassembling would be difficult. You should delegate it to an expert. Go to YouTube and search for the following operator to watch and receive directions on how to dismantle your laptop:-
[Laptop model+how to dismantle]
After you’ve fixed the jack, you’ll need to rebuild it component by component using the same procedures. Reassembling may be more difficult than disassembling at times.
Is it possible to fix the DC socket if the copper sleeve breaks?
Yes. You certainly can. Some technicians even claim that it cannot be repaired, although this is not the case. Simply purchase a little sheet of copper for 1-2 pounds on eBay. Cut an 8mm / 4mm strip and wrap it into a tube like the jack. The copper tube should be soldered.
How can the holes on the terminal for the jack be made larger?
To conveniently fit the power jack, enlarge the holes using a tiny flathead screwdriver. Then, on the clear area, apply a new layer of solder.
How much does it cost to fix a DC power jack that has broken?
If you go to a repair shop, it will cost you $20-$25 on average, while if you fix it yourself, it will cost you $1-$3 or less.
The power jack on my computer is totally broken. I’m not going to repair it since I’m going to get a new laptop. How can I transfer data from my laptop to my new one without having to replace the jack?
You may charge your laptop battery outside of the laptop and then plug it in to turn it on and transfer data to the new device.
My ancient gateway laptop’s copper contacts inside the barrel plug have started to corrode. What can I do about it?
Make a loop using fine sandpaper. The contacts should then be sanded. After that, instead of being drab brown, it should be glossy.
However, since most computers now come with a tiny barrel plug, this may not be feasible.
I hope that this tutorial will help you get a clear understanding of power jack problems and how to repair the power jack on your laptop.
Many laptop peripherals may be reused. You may also use your laptop as a display, although charging issues might be very frustrating.
It is critical to test your laptop after reassembly to ensure that it is in working order. The battery notification will display “battery charging” as the first indication that it is functioning properly.
The soldering laptop power jack is a process that can be difficult to complete. If you are having difficulty with the process, there are some alternatives that can help you fix your issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix my laptop power jack?
The power jack is a small plug that connects to the laptops power source. The power jack can get loose from use, and it needs to be tightened back into place. If you are unable to do this yourself, you will need to take your laptop in for service or contact a computer repair shop.
How can I fix my power cord without soldering?
The best option is to replace the cord.
Can a laptop power cord be repaired?
Unfortunately, this is not possible.